Tuesday, July 31, 2012

True Form Midna Complete - and a dance!

I finally did it!   I made my True Form Midna costume, and I think it turned out great!
We didn't go anywhere for a photo shoot.  It was super hot that day, the costume is NOT heat friendly, and the fact that I was 9 weeks preggo didn't help much.  Yes... my belly is showing.  I worked like crazy the beginning of the year and actually got a flat tummy (I've not had that in years).  I was so proud!  But we got pregnant, so no more flat tummy for at least another year or two, lol.  That's ok though.  We had fun with it when dressed as Mario and Peach on the Sunday.

This costume took so many hours to make.  I spent about 30-40 hours on the cape alone (25 or more just putting the ribbon on the back... yes, that is ribbon cut, placed, and glued.  Paint just doesn't happen as evenly as ribbon does).  The zentai suit took forever as the paint did not want to work properly for me.  I finally 'finished' but am still unhappy with the 'splotchy' job of the paint (many people have assured me it looks so smooth, but it's not good enough for me, lol).  The blue is glow in the dark puff paint.  The headpiece is made from wood, clay, and wire.  And some chain.  I love how it turned out!  It is my favorite of the whole outfit!  The wig I'd do differently.  I bought a really cheap one from Party Stuff, and won't do that again.  It was not easy to work with.  It turned out alright, but next time I'll order a higher quality wig.  I got the contacts from honeycolor.  They were great!  I wore them longer than the perscribed 8 hours, and my eyes were fine.  I used Ben Nye clown white makeup and it was so much easier to apply than the diaper rash cream I used on my trial run 2 months earlier.  SO. MUCH. EASIER. 

In all, I'm happy with this costume!  I probably won't be wearing it again for a long time, but I'm still impressed with it.  I even entered the costume contest at AiKon and did a belly dance!  You can see it here.  I'm very proud of it, and I've never done a solo performance before... and this was in front of 700 people (and you could see them all!  I was so terrified, I almost backed out last minute).  It's a zills routing (finger cymbals) and yes, I am using the cymbals, and you can hear them (suprisingly) in the video!

Here are some pics of the costume, taken by Droo of Droo Photography.







No comments: